Tuesday, November 8, 2011

When Weight Loss Goes Horribly Wrong

Not with me, I feel pretty good, but one of my closest friends. I'm extremely worried about her.

We started the movement around the same time, though she had a few months on me, and she works out probably about three times more/harder than I do (I really just hate moving). And I could definitely see the difference, losing forty pounds will do that to you. But recently, about two weeks ago I noticed what her eating habits were. The non existent kind. She's starving herself and then working off five - seven hundred calories. Or maybe she'll have a hot chocolate for breakfast and skip eating the rest of the day.

Please don't do this. This is not how you lose weight.

I thought the story ended there, in which I would get her to eat stuff. Wasn't hard, I mean, I'm eating healthy too so we'd share a good turkey sandwich or something. I thought maybe I was missing something, she really is eating more. It's not like I ask her every day how much have you been eating, that's not only rude but there's much better things to talk about.

I get a text this morning from a mutual friend of ours, someone who has a tumblr account (I could never get the damn thing to work for me) and we'll call them Jessica.. My friend, who I'm talking about now also has a tumblr account. So Jessica asks me if our friend has a weight/eating problem. Considering just last night I was trying to get her to eat dinner with me because she was starving and not eating, I knew there was something going on. I told Jessica my suspensions and then Jessica told me to look at our friend's tumblr.I still didn't think much of it, so I put it off till later.

And then I saw it.

If you cracked open the mind of someone who had serious food issues, and weight issues, and associated pictures to ideas, that's what this page looked like. A crack house of delusion. It's breaking my heart just thinking of it. This is much more serious than I had ever imagined.  I don't even know what to do.

I mean, I get it. I understand that being skinny is important, but I don't like to label it like that. I don't even like the words diet/exercise. It has negative connotations for me (and probably most others). So I say eating better, moving around, weighing less. I keep a positive mind because I have to. I know how much weiging less would improve my life. My self esteem shoots up just thinking about it. Everything, almost everything in my life would improve if I was the weight I'm aiming to be. So I get it.

But it's a very fine line between working hard, and losing yourself in the work. And I'm afraid I'm losing a best friend here to nothing. It's not even a good cause. She's perfect the way she is, the way she was, and now this is destroying her. Or maybe it was always and it's just coming out now. I don't know. But I'm upset now. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment